Friday, August 26, 2011

Best Brownies...Only Time Will Tell

about 25 minutes to be exact...

So you get a random craving at 10PM at night for Brownies... hey, it happens to the best of us...

Don't have a box of Duncan Hines Brownie mix.... Make your own!

My Aunt Kathy gave me this awesome recipe book for Christmas 2003 called "Old Fashioned Cookies." It's one of my absolute favorites! When my sweet tooth overtook my willpower, I decided to check for a brownie recipe and found none other than the "Best Brownie" recipe. With a name like that, who could argue? So I tested it out...

Ingredients
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I used all-purpose wheat flour)
1/3 cup HERSHEY's Cocoa (I used Nestle Toll House Cocoa)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional -- I didn't use any nuts this time)
*Creamy Brownie Frosting (recipe follows -- but I didn't make it tonight)

1. Heat oven to 350F. Grease 9-inch square baking pan

2. Stir together butter, sugar and vanilla in large bowl. Add eggs; beat well with spoon. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in nuts. Spread into prepared pan.

3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool; frost with Creamy Brownie frosting. Cut into squares (makes about 16 brownies)

Creamy Brownie Frosting

(I didn't make the frosting, but it does sound delicious!)
Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
3 tablespoons HERSHEY's Cocoa
1 tablespoon light corn syrup or honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Beat butter, cocoa, corn syrup and vanilla in small bowl. Add powdered sugar and milk; beat to spreading consistency. Makes about 1 cup frosting.

Enjoy your chocolate fix!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment